Creating an En suite Bathroom
The addition of an en suite can be an ideal way of adding luxury to a bedroom, we’ve put together this handy guide with everything you need to know about designing an en suite bathroom?
Why create an en suite Room
The benefits of a large bedroom means it can be partitioned to create an en suite bathroom. This is an ideal way for you to add a sense of opulence to your bedroom, while maximising the space more usefully. The addition of an en suit bathroom will also add value to your home, especially if you currently have only one bathroom.
If you already have a bathroom with a bath, creating an en suite bathroom with a walk-in shower or shower enclosure will create a modern and functional bathroom, whilst maximising the available space. An en suite provides a practical solution, creating your own bathroom space and relieving some of the congestion for the main family bathroom.
Things to consider before you start
Prior to starting work, be sure you have planned through every element of your en suite bathroom project. This should include everything from the space you will lose in the bedroom, estimated costs, rerouting pipework and waste solutuions, electrical wiring, and adding any storage, shelving and en suite bathroom accessories.
We recommend that if you have a combi boiler, which provides hot water on demand rather than a hot water cylinder, you ensure it has sufficient hot water flow to supply an extra bathroom. Taking your time to think things through during the planning stage, will ensure everything will work out just as you want it.
Choose an En Suite Bathroom Style
Where to position the en suite
When adding an en suite to a bedroom, you will want to position it next to an existing bathroom on the same floor, or above a bathroom on the lower floor. The reason for this is the cost of adding an en suite bathroom increase when you have to reroute plumbing, especially soil stacks and waste pipes.
Whether you are partitioning an existing room, or creating a complete new one, you will need to build extra walls. In most cases these will be stud walls constructed with a timber frame and plasterboard. Use water resistant plasterboard when creating an en suite bathroom to avoid damp.
What will it cost?
The cost of installing an en suite bathroom will vary depending on the construction, and the type of finish required, however as a rule of thumb it will average between £5,500 and £7,000+. This will include installation, labour, fixtures, fittings and finishes like flooring and tiling. With the addition of any extra features and accessories, you can expect to pay a little more.
With the help of our expert advice, free measuring, design and planning service as well as professional installation, we can help you achieve the ideal shower room within your budget.
What Shower Room Products Do I Need?
- A great option for a second bathroom, by adding an en suite bathroom, you will easily increase the value of your home.
- Choosing an en suite bathroom will add a sense of opulence and luxury to your bedroom.
- An excellent way to create a second bathroom where space is limited.
- Ideal option for anyone with accessibility issues, providing convenient and easy access to private toilet and bathroom facilities.
- An en suite provides a practical solution, creating your own bathroom space and relieving some of the congestion for the main family bathroom.
- You will have to give up some bedroom space to create your en suite bathroom.
- The cost of installing an en suite bathroom may be too high due to the position of the water and waste pipes.
- If the work is not carried out properly, leaks can cause extensive damage. Always use a professional fitter when installing en suite bathroom.
- Adding an en suite bathroom to a listed building will require planning permission, as you will be altering the internal fabric of the building.
What Important Features Do I Need
We will work with you through every stage of the planning, design and build process, meaning you will benefit from over 40 years of industy experience to achieve exactly what you want.
Start by planning your project, including styles, products you will need and any special features you require.
Once you have worked out your project plans, we will take your ideas and layout the desigh to best suit your needs.
Based on the design concept, we will order all the products you need, and arrange your installation.
Discuss your project with us
To discuss your next bathroom project, arrange a free measure and estimate, and to see our full range of bathroom suites, shower enclosures, wall and floor tiles.